Independent coach touring, flexibility and choice designed for you
Create Your Own Personal NZ Coach Tour With Our Expert Help
Independent coach touring is by far the most popular way of exploring New Zealand with coach travel. While the word 'independent' may conjure up images of fending for yourself, our independent tours are far from that. Independent touring gives you freedom from the date restrictions of escorted tours - you are able modify an itinerary to stay longer in a area of interest, you can mix and match your accommodations, and include the activities and attractions you want. It's the perfect touring solution!
An independent coach tour fits around you and your plans. With an escorted tour itinerary you would need to arrange your plans around the tour, our customised independent coach tours are unique to you, they fit around your flights and any other commitments you might have while in New Zealand.
The independent coach tour experience - typically an independent tour consists of:
- Travel on modern well-equipped coaches with air conditioning. On the more popular routes the coaches have on-board toilets and WiFi.
- Commentary is offered on most sections with the exception of some of the shorter connecting routes.
- Accommodations can be anything you request. We create each tour to suit your taste and budget.
- We ensure that all connections and accommodation pick ups are included.
- Breakfasts and dinners can be included to suit you.
- Activities and attractions can be tailored to suit you.
- On touring sections frequent comfort stops are made, along with stops at points of interest.
- Travel on touring sections with a wide variety of guests - make some new friends along the way!
Independent touring facts
- Start and finish points can be virtually anywhere on our wide network, but most popular points are Auckland, Queenstown, Christchurch and Rotorua.
- Tours depart every single day - we can customise your tour to suit your dates and schedule.
- Tours can be from 2 days to 60 days - or longer! Typically a tour around the south Island would be 10 - 12 days for most independent touring guests.
- All departures are guaranteed to go ahead.
- Coaches typically seat 48 passengers (when full).
- Independent tours can be combined with other types of touring - e.g. a self-drive holiday on the North Island, an independent coach tour on the South Island - we can customise to suit you!
- Extra costs - our independent tours will clearly specify what is included. Anything extra is at your expense - our team of experts will give you some great budgeting tips!
Independent coach touring operators
- Thrifty Tours have been operating independent tours for over 30 years. Better still, the parent company, New Zealand Coach Tours, also owns the Thrifty Tours brand. We only use activities, accommodations and transport providers who we know deliver a great service and a great product. We have over 180 independent touring itinerary ideas and suggestions to tempt you and each one can be modified to suit you perfectly. Get in touch to today to start your plans!